Home > Riviste > Gazzetta Medica Italiana Archivio per le Scienze Mediche > Fascicoli precedenti > Gazzetta Medica Italiana - Archivio per le Scienze Mediche 2019 July-August;178(7-8) > Gazzetta Medica Italiana - Archivio per le Scienze Mediche 2019 July-August;178(7-8):534-7

ULTIMO FASCICOLO
 

JOURNAL TOOLS

eTOC
Per abbonarsi
Sottometti un articolo
Segnala alla tua biblioteca
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Publication history
Estratti
Permessi
Per citare questo articolo

 

ORIGINAL ARTICLE   

Gazzetta Medica Italiana - Archivio per le Scienze Mediche 2019 July-August;178(7-8):534-7

DOI: 10.23736/S0393-3660.18.03874-3

Copyright © 2018 EDIZIONI MINERVA MEDICA

lingua: Inglese

Midwives autonomy in discharge women after physiological childbirth

Alba RICCHI 1 , Irene P. COVEZZI 2, Loredana DI BIASE 2, Giulia SACCANI 2, Cristina GALLI 3, Maria T. MOLINAZZI 1, Angela PUTIGNANO 3, Isabella NERI 1

1 Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, School of Midwifery, University of Modena and Reggio-Emilia, Modena, Italy; 2 University of Modena and Reggio-Emilia, Modena, Italy; 3 Mother-Infant Department, University of Modena and Reggio-Emilia, Modena, Italy



BACKGROUND: International literature identifies the midwife as the professional figure deals with women and new-borns in the context of childbirth; it is however found to be still difficult to ensure this continuity of care. In Italy both the national laws and the indications of Emilia Romagna region promote this practice, ensuring the midwives management of the low risk women immediately after childbirth. The aim of the study is to investigate and describe the midwives autonomy as regards the post-partum discharge.
METHODS: The computerised medical records were consulted to identify the mothers after childbirth who can be discharged independently by the obstetrician following the guidelines of the Emilia-Romagna region.
RESULTS: A retrospective analysis of 1371 medical records related to the period January- June 2017 showed that 41% of discharges were managed handled by the midwives, while the remaining 59% by obstetricians. Fifty-seven percent of the women followed by the family counselling service were discharged by the obstetricians and 43% independently by the midwives. Considering the women followed by a private physician 62% were discharged by the obstetricians and 38% by the midwives.
CONCLUSIONS: The study shows that, in a short time from the beginning of the project, the results as regards midwives autonomy were excellent. Indeed the midwives discharges does not differed significantly from the medical ones, and care continuity between the hospital and territory is strengthened. Further studies must include questionnaires concerning satisfaction of the mother not administered in this sample of women.


KEY WORDS: Nurse midwives; Patient discharge; Continuity of patient care

inizio pagina