Home > Riviste > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia > Fascicoli precedenti > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2020 June;155(3) > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2020 June;155(3):346-8

ULTIMO FASCICOLO
 

JOURNAL TOOLS

eTOC
Per abbonarsi
Sottometti un articolo
Segnala alla tua biblioteca
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Publication history
Estratti
Permessi
Per citare questo articolo

 

SPECIAL ARTICLE   

Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2020 June;155(3):346-8

DOI: 10.23736/S0392-0488.17.05228-2

Copyright © 2015 EDIZIONI MINERVA MEDICA

lingua: Inglese

Genoa and leprosy: from the Middle Ages to the present

Gianfranco BARABINO, Arianna F. AGNOLETTI , Aurora PARODI

DISSAL Section of Dermatology, IRCCS University of Genoa, San Martino-IST Hospital, Genoa, Italy


PDF


During the Middle Ages, leprosy sufferers could not live in the city and were forced outside the walls. In the centuries, the Genoese area dedicated several hospitals to lepers, such as S. Lazzaro and Pammatone Hospital, a small leprosarium in the Tigullio area and San Martino Hospital from 1935. The first doctor who recognized to cure leprosy in Genoa was Goffredo, who later was also nominated rector of the community. In the early 1900’s, Radaeli promoted the construction of a leprosarium behind the San Martino hospital. In 1936 Giuseppe Mariani was known for using the leprosarium to hide Italian Jews during deportation to the extermination camps. Later, Professor Aldo Baccaredda-Boy instituted the graduate school in “Leprosy and Tropical Dermatology”, continued by professor Enrico Nunzi until 1990. The leprosarium was then transformed into the Department of Tropical Dermatology and finally into the Operative Unit of Social Dermatology, a national reference center.


KEY WORDS: Leprosy; Italy; History

inizio pagina