Home > Riviste > Chirurgia > Fascicoli precedenti > Chirurgia 2020 April;33(2) > Chirurgia 2020 April;33(2):84-8

ULTIMO FASCICOLO
 

JOURNAL TOOLS

eTOC
Per abbonarsi
Sottometti un articolo
Segnala alla tua biblioteca
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Publication history
Estratti
Permessi
Per citare questo articolo

 

ORIGINAL ARTICLE   

Chirurgia 2020 April;33(2):84-8

DOI: 10.23736/S0394-9508.19.05002-2

Copyright © 2019 EDIZIONI MINERVA MEDICA

lingua: Inglese

Comparison of laparoscopic and classic appendectomy at clinical hospital center Rijeka over a ten year period

Harry GRBAS 1, Damir GREBIĆ 2 , Ante JERKOVIĆ 1, Damir KARLOVIĆ 1, Ana-Marija TOMAŠIĆ 3, Marijana RINČIĆ ANTULOV 4

1 Department of Abdominal Surgery, Clinical Hospital Center Rijeka, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia; 2 Department of General and Oncological Surgery, Clinical Hospital Center Rijeka, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia; 3 Department of Thoracic Surgery, Clinical Hospital Center Rijeka, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia; 4 Department of Abdominal Surgery, South Jutland Hospital, Aabenraa, Denmark



BACKGROUND: The aim of this paper was to compare laparoscopic and classic appendectomy over a ten-year period to the complications and recovery rate of patients.
METHODS: In the period from the beginning of 2007 to the end of 2016, a total of 1480 patients with laparoscopic approach and 1220 patients with classic approach (including 65 patients converted to open appendectomy - 2.4%) were operated at Clinical Hospital Center Rijeka, Croatia. 43% (1161 patients) of the total number of patients were female and the remaining were men (1539 patients, 57%).
RESULTS: Out of 1480 patients with laparoscopic approach, 212 (14%) had peritonitis due to perforated appendicitis, compared to 193 (16%) among 1220 patients with classic approach. Among the laparoscopic appendectomies there were 242 (16%) gangrenous appendicitis without perforation, and 220 (18%) among the classic appendectomies. Other patients had acute phlegmonous appendicitis. Postoperative wound infection was the most common complication in 83 (5.6%) patients operated by laparoscopic approach and in 105 (8.6%) of classic operated patients. Postoperative hematoma of the wound had 25 (2%) of the classic operated patients versus 4 patients (0.2%) operated by laparoscopic approach. Douglas abscess had 92 (7.5%) of the classic operated patients, and 42 (2.8%) of the patients operated by laparoscopic surgery. The average duration of hospitalization in laparoscopic operated patients was two days, in the classic operated three days.
CONCLUSIONS: Laparoscopic appendectomy is a less invasive operation with shorter recovery time, minor complications, and faster early onset of per os nutrition and return to everyday life.


KEY WORDS: Appendicitis; Appendectomy; Laparoscopy

inizio pagina