Home > Riviste > Chirurgia > Fascicoli precedenti > Chirurgia 2019 December;32(6) > Chirurgia 2019 December;32(6):289-93

ULTIMO FASCICOLO
 

JOURNAL TOOLS

eTOC
Per abbonarsi
Sottometti un articolo
Segnala alla tua biblioteca
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Publication history
Estratti
Permessi
Per citare questo articolo

 

ORIGINAL ARTICLE   

Chirurgia 2019 December;32(6):289-93

DOI: 10.23736/S0394-9508.18.04872-6

Copyright © 2018 EDIZIONI MINERVA MEDICA

lingua: Inglese

Preoperative statin associated with a reduced risk of atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass surgery

Emad M. HIJAZI 1 , Hayel T. EDWAN 2, Nabil A. AL-ZOUBI 1, Rasheed K. IBDAH 1, Sukina I. RAWASHDEH 1, Hadi A. RADAIDEH 1

1 Division of Cardiac Surgery, Princess Muna AL-Hussein Cardiac Center, King Abdullah University Hospital, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan; 2 King Hussein Medical Center, Queen Alia Heart Institute, The Royal Medical Services, Amman, Jordan



BACKGROUND: Despite the advances in medical and surgical treatment, the incidence of new onset atrial fibrillation (NOAF) is still common and unchanged for decades after coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG). The aim of this study was to assess the relationship between the development of new onset atrial fibrillation (NOAF) following coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery and preoperative statin therapy.
METHODS: A prospective observational study of two group consecutive patients without history of AF was conducted. Group 1 (N.=150), patients underwent elective coronary artery bypass grafting, with cardiopulmonary bypass, at Princess Muna AL-Hussein Cardiac Center, King Abdullah University Hospital, Irbid, Jordan / Jordan University of Science and Technology, and Group 2 (N.=200), at Queen Alia Heart Institute, Amman-Jordan, between January 1, 2013, and December 31, 2016. Postoperative AF was assessed by continuous telemetry monitoring during hospitalization.
RESULTS: In group 1 postoperative atrial fibrillation occurs in 11 patients (7.3%), 8 of them are males (72.8%) and the other 3 patients are females (27.2%). In group 2 postoperative atrial fibrillation occurs in 65 patients (32.5%), 46 of them are males (70.8%) and the other 19 patients (29.2%) are females.
CONCLUSIONS: Treatment with statins (atorvastatin 20 mg) as intermediate-dose, initiated 7days minimum before surgery, significantly reduces the incidence of postoperative AF after elective cardiac surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass.


KEY WORDS: Atrial fibrillation; Coronary artery bypass; Hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA reductase inhibitors

inizio pagina