Home > Journals > Journal of Radiological Review > Past Issues > Il Giornale Italiano di Radiologia Medica 2019 Luglio-Agosto;6(4) > Il Giornale Italiano di Radiologia Medica 2019 Luglio-Agosto;6(4):301-8

CURRENT ISSUE
 

JOURNAL TOOLS

eTOC
To subscribe
Recommend to your librarian
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Publication history
Reprints
Permissions
Cite this article as

 

ORIGINAL ARTICLE   

Il Giornale Italiano di Radiologia Medica 2019 Luglio-Agosto;6(4):301-8

DOI: 10.23736/S2283-8376.19.00211-0

Copyright © 2019 EDIZIONI MINERVA MEDICA

language: English, Italian

Role of multiparametric magnetic resonance and ultrasound-guided/MR fusion biopsy in patients with low-risk prostate cancer suitable for active surveillance

Federica CICCARESE 1 , Caterina GAUDIANO 1, Beniamino CORCIONI 1, Riccardo SCHIAVINA 2, Michelangelo FIORENTINO 3, Francesca GIUNCHI 3, Eugenio BRUNOCILLA 2, Rita GOLFIERI 1

1 Unit of Radiology, Department of Diagnostic and Preventive Medicine, S. Orsola-Malpighi Hospital, Bologna, Italy; 2 Unit of Urology, S. Orsola-Malpighi Hospital, Bologna, Italy; 3 Unit of Pathology, S. Orsola-Malpighi Hospital, Bologna, Italy


PDF


BACKGROUND: To evaluate the impact of multiparametric magnetic resonance (mpMR) and fusion biopsy in patients with low-risk prostate cancer suitable for active surveillance (AS) in order to reduce cases of disease downstaging.
METHODS: Between January 2016 and February 2018, 97 mpMRs were performed in patients with clinical indications for AS; the mpMR results were expressed using the PIRADS (Prostate Imaging Reporting and Data System) v2.1 score. Of the patients with equivocal or suspicious findings (PIRADS ≥3), 26 underwent transrectal ultrasound/MR fusion biopsy; the histological results were analysed and correlated to the MR data.
RESULTS: Multiparametric magnetic resonance documented benign findings (i.e. PIRADS 1-2) in 42/97 patients (43.3%) while, in the remaining 55/97 (56.7%), abnormal findings were found: 39/97 (40.2%) PIRADS 3, 14/97 (14.4%) PIRADS 4 and 2/97 (2.1%) PIRADS 5. Twenty-six patients underwent fusion biopsy (17 with PIRADS 3, 7 with PIRADS 4, 2 with PIRADS 5); in 17/26 (65.4%), a Gleason Score ≥7 was found and, in particular, in 10/17 (58.8%) of the PIRADS 3, 5/7 (71.4%) of the PIRADS 4 and 2/2 (100%) of the PIRADS 5.
CONCLUSIONS: More than half of the patients in AS showed MR abnormalities and the risk of upstaging increased as the PIRADS score increased; fusion biopsy allowed clarifying the importance of the MR findings, identifying a more aggressive prostate tumour in a high percentage of cases (65.4%). Therefore, MR with fusion biopsy should be proposed for all patients in AS for a correct diagnostic classification.


KEY WORDS: Watchful waiting; Prostatic neoplasms; Magnetic resonance imaging; Molecular targeted therapy

top of page