Home > Journals > Journal of Neurosurgical Sciences > Past Issues > Articles online first > Journal of Neurosurgical Sciences 2022 Apr 13



Publishing options
To subscribe
Submit an article
Recommend to your librarian


Publication history
Cite this article as


Original Article   

Journal of Neurosurgical Sciences 2022 Apr 13

DOI: 10.23736/S0390-5616.22.05599-0


language: English

Application of double-stent assisted coil embolization in intracranial vertebral artery dissecting aneurysms with mass effect

Long-jiang ZHOU 1, 2, Wei WANG 2, Li-li WEN 1, Qi WU 1, Zhen-sheng LIU 2, Xiao-yu TANG 1, Wei CAI 1, Xiao-ming ZHOU 1, Wei-zhen HE 1, Xin ZHANG 1

1 Department of Neurosurgery, Jinling Hospital, School of Medicine, Nanjing University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China; 2 Medical Imaging Center, The Affiliated Hospital of Yangzhou University, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou, Jiangsu, China


BACKGROUND: Unruptured intracranial vertebral artery dissecting aneurysms (IVADAs) with mass effect have an extremely poor natural course, and treatment of these aneurysms remains a challenge for endovascular and surgical strategies. The aim of this study was to analyze the role of double-stent-assisted coil embolization in preventing rupture and bleeding of intracranial vertebral artery dissecting aneurysm with brainstem compression by reducing mass effect and preventing the recurrence of the aneurysm.
METHODS: A total of 25 patients (mean age, 56.04±13.0 years) with unruptured IVADAs with mass effect received dual-stent-assisted coil embolization. The baseline characteristics, the change of aneurysm size on MR, the rate of retreatment, and the improvement rate of clinical symptoms and signs were analyzed retrospectively.
RESULTS: All patients completed the surgical procedures successfully. No aneurysm bleeding or perforating artery occlusion occurred during the perioperative and follow-up periods. The initial maximum diameter of the aneurysm on MR was 17.5 ± 3.6 mm. One year after treatment, the maximum diameter of the aneurysm on MR was 15.8 ± 4.9 mm. The reduction rate of the maximum diameter of the aneurysm was 10.7 ± 12.7%. The change of the maximum diameter before and after treatment of aneurysm was statistically significant (P<0.001). In terms of the improvement rate of clinical symptoms, 15 cases were completely improved (60.0%), 6 cases were partially improved (24.0%), and the total clinical improvement rate was 84%. Four cases (16.0%) showed no improvement or even had aggravation of clinical symptoms. In 5 cases (20.0%), aneurysms recurred. Among 4 cases involving posterior inferior cerebellar artery origin, 3 cases had the recurrence (75%). 5 recurred cases were treated with single-stent-assisted coil embolization. No residual aneurysm and recurrence were found on the follow-up angiography.
CONCLUSIONS: The double-stent-assisted coil embolization procedure is very safe and reliable. It can effectively prevent the aneurysm from continuing to grow and rupture and thereby reduce the clinical symptoms caused by the mass effect.

KEY WORDS: Aneurysm; Dissection; Vertebral artery; Mass effect

top of page