Home > Journals > Minerva Surgery > Past Issues > Minerva Chirurgica 2012 August;67(4) > Minerva Chirurgica 2012 August;67(4):337-42



Publishing options
To subscribe
Submit an article
Recommend to your librarian





Minerva Chirurgica 2012 August;67(4):337-42


language: English

Intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay during focused parathyroidectomy for primary hyperparathyroidism: is it really mandatory?

Calò P. G. 1, Pisano G. 1, Tatti A. 1, Medas F. 1, Boi F. 2, Mariotti S. 2, Nicolosi A. 1

1 Dipartimento di Chirurgia e Scienze Odontostomatologiche, Università degli Studi di Cagliari, Cagliari, Italia; 2 Dipartimento di Scienze Medicheì, Università degli Studi di Cagliari, Cagliari, Italia


Aim. Intraoperative parathyroid hormone (PTH) assay has become an essential tool in focused parathyroid surgery. The aim of this study was to evaluate the present role of intraoperative PTH monitoring during focused parathyroidectomy for primary hyperparathyroidism in our experience.
Methods. One hundred sixty-one patients were submitted to focused parathyroidectomy with rapid intraoperative Parathyroid hormone assay monitoring.
Results. A >50% decrease of PTH occurred in 147 patients (91.3%); in this group persistent hypercalcemia was found in 1; in the remaining 14 (8.7%) values of PTH decreased less than 50% and bilateral neck exploration was performed. An additional pathologic parathyroid was removed in 8 cases, a third in one; in the other five further neck exploration was negative and in four of these persistent postoperative hypercalcemia was demonstrated. In 136 patients >50% decrease of PTH was obtained after 10 minutes, in the other 11 after 20. The overall operative success of the patients was 96.9% with a 5.6% incidence of multiglandular disease. Intraoperative parathormone monitoring changed the operative management in 8.7% of cases. Intraoperative parathormone monitoring was accurate in predicting operative success or failure in 98.7% of patients, with a sensitivity of 99.3%, a specificity of 92.8%, a positive predictive value of 99.3% and a negative predictive value of 92.8%.
Discussion and conclusion. The measurement of intraoperative PTH represents a useful tool to assist the surgeon during parathyroid surgery and its routine use significantly improves cure rates of focused parathyroidectomy. We believe that the use intraoperative PTH is still mandatory in focused parathyroidectomy avoiding relapses and consequent reintervention.

top of page