Home > Journals > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia > Past Issues > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2020 June;155(3) > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2020 June;155(3):346-8

CURRENT ISSUE
 

JOURNAL TOOLS

eTOC
To subscribe
Submit an article
Recommend to your librarian
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Publication history
Reprints
Permissions
Cite this article as

 

SPECIAL ARTICLE   

Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2020 June;155(3):346-8

DOI: 10.23736/S0392-0488.17.05228-2

Copyright © 2015 EDIZIONI MINERVA MEDICA

language: English

Genoa and leprosy: from the Middle Ages to the present

Gianfranco BARABINO, Arianna F. AGNOLETTI , Aurora PARODI

DISSAL Section of Dermatology, IRCCS University of Genoa, San Martino-IST Hospital, Genoa, Italy


PDF


During the Middle Ages, leprosy sufferers could not live in the city and were forced outside the walls. In the centuries, the Genoese area dedicated several hospitals to lepers, such as S. Lazzaro and Pammatone Hospital, a small leprosarium in the Tigullio area and San Martino Hospital from 1935. The first doctor who recognized to cure leprosy in Genoa was Goffredo, who later was also nominated rector of the community. In the early 1900’s, Radaeli promoted the construction of a leprosarium behind the San Martino hospital. In 1936 Giuseppe Mariani was known for using the leprosarium to hide Italian Jews during deportation to the extermination camps. Later, Professor Aldo Baccaredda-Boy instituted the graduate school in “Leprosy and Tropical Dermatology”, continued by professor Enrico Nunzi until 1990. The leprosarium was then transformed into the Department of Tropical Dermatology and finally into the Operative Unit of Social Dermatology, a national reference center.


KEY WORDS: Leprosy; Italy; History

top of page