I TUOI DATI
I TUOI ORDINI
N. prodotti: 0
Totale ordine: € 0,00
I TUOI ABBONAMENTI
I TUOI ARTICOLI
THE JOURNAL OF CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY
Rivista di Chirurgia Cardiaca, Vascolare e Toracica
Indexed/Abstracted in: BIOSIS Previews, Current Contents/Clinical Medicine, EMBASE, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 1,632
ORIGINAL ARTICLES VASCULAR SECTION Developments in carotid artery stenting
The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2007 Aprile;48(2):187-92
Open surgery of infrarenal aortic aneurysms with iliac involvement: repair should be entirely intra-abdominal
Martelli E., Ippoliti A., Accrocca F., Di Giulio L., Ventoruzzo G., De Vivo G., Pistolese G. R.
Division of Vascular Surgery “Tor Vergata” University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Aim. A review of the literature on the surgical treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs) reveals that aortofemoral bypass (AFB) is used frequently in some centers. The latter series are characterized by higher rates of graft-related complications than in those in which AFB is used less frequently. The aim of our study was to evaluate the relative frequency and outcome of different types of bypass grafts in the surgical treatment of AAAs with iliac involvement, in our center and in others.
Methods. Between 1994 and 2004, 190 AAA patients with involvement of the iliac axes underwent elective repair in our department. Surgery was performed via median transperitoneal access.
Results. The AAAs extended to the common iliac artery (CIA) in 90.5% of patients. The remaining 9.5% extended to the external iliac artery (EIA). Aorto bi-iliac grafts were used in 159 cases, straight tube grafts in 13, aorto EIA grafts in 15, and AFBs in 3. Overall 30-day morbidity and mortality rates were 12.1% and 2.6%, respectively. At follow-up (mean: 5.6 years), one distal limb infection of an AFB and 4 CIA/EIA aneurysmal enlargements occurred and were repaired accordingly. Secondary patency and 5-year cumulative survival rate were 100% and 80%, respectively.
Conclusion. In this series of AAAs extending to the iliac axes, AFB was used selectively (1.6%), even when the AAA extended to the EIA. This allowed us to maintain direct vascularization of the hypogastric arteries and eliminate the risk of complications associated with inguinal access. We feel, therefore, that for the repair of aortoiliac aneurysms, AFB is rarely indicated.