Home > Riviste > The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery > Fascicoli precedenti > The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2006 August;47(4) > The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2006 August;47(4):469-75





Rivista di Chirurgia Cardiaca, Vascolare e Toracica

Indexed/Abstracted in: BIOSIS Previews, Current Contents/Clinical Medicine, EMBASE, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 1,632




The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2006 August;47(4):469-75

lingua: Inglese

Results of endocardial radiofrequency ablation of atrial fibrillation during mitral valve surgery

Demirkilic U., Bolcal C., Gunay C., Doganci S., Temizkan V., Kuralay E., Tatar H.

Department of Cardiovascular Surgery Gulhane Military Academy of Medicine Cankaya, Ankara, Turkey


Aim. The aim of the study is to evaluate the efficacy of thermocontrolled endocardial radiofrequency (RF) ablation for the patients with mitral valve disorder and associated chronic atrial fibrillation during mitral valve replacement operation.
Methods. Between February 2002 and January 2004, 43 patients with mitral valve disease and associated chronic atrial fibrillation underwent mitral valve replacement and thermocontrolled endocardial RF ablation with Cobra® RF system flexible probe at Gulhane Military Academy of Medicine, Department of Cardiovascular Surgery. Eighteen of the patients (41.8%) were males, while the remaining 25 (58.2%) were females. The average age of the patients was 44±14.21 (18-66) years. Functional capacity of the patients was class II in 15 (34. 9%), class III in 24 (55.8%), class IV in 4 (9.3%) according to the NYHA classification. At the preoperative period all of the patients were evaluated routinely by twelve-lead ECG, chest film and transthoracic echocardiography (TTE). For the patients over 40 years of age, we performed additional coronary angiography to delineate any coronary lesions. The patients were evaluated at months 1, 3, 6 and annually by twelve-lead ECG, TTE and holter monitoring after discharge.
Results. There were not any complications related to the performed technique. No operative and hospital mortality were recorded. At the follow-up period for 35 of 43 patients (81.4%) sinus rhythm was resto- red. The mean follow-up time was 24.3±11.2 (12-35) months.
Conclusion. Endocardial RF ablation especially during mitral valve surgery is a simple technique to be performed. Early and midterm results of the cohort are satisfying.

inizio pagina

Publication History

Per citare questo articolo

Corresponding author e-mail