I TUOI DATI
I TUOI ORDINI
N. prodotti: 0
Totale ordine: € 0,00
I TUOI ABBONAMENTI
I TUOI ARTICOLI
THE JOURNAL OF CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY
Rivista di Chirurgia Cardiaca, Vascolare e Toracica
Indexed/Abstracted in: BIOSIS Previews, Current Contents/Clinical Medicine, EMBASE, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 1,632
ORIGINAL ARTICLES CARDIAC SECTION
The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2002 December;43(6):779-86
Fan-shaped expanded polytetrafluoroethylene valve in the pulmonary position
Yamagishi M. 1, Kurosawa H. 2, Nomura K. 2, Kitamura N. 2
1 Department of Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery Children’s Research Hospital, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
2 Department of Cardiovascular Surgery Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Background. Residual pulmonary insufficiency remains a problem after transannular repair in pediatric patients. We have developed fan-shaped monocuspid and bicuspid valves made of expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE) membrane for repair of right ventricular outflow tract obstruction in patients with tetralogy of Fallot.
Methods. We studied 20 patients (mean age, 39.6 months) with tetralogy of Fallot. The right ventricular outflow tract was reconstructed with use of a short, wide transannular patch and a fan-shaped valve made of 0.1-mm-thick expanded ePTFE membrane (PRECLUDE Pericardial Membrane, W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc, Flagstaff, AZ). The width of the valve and the outflow patch were constructed so that the neopulmonary annulus was approximately 130% the normal size.
Results. A monocuspid valve was used in 17 patients and a bicuspid valve in 3. The mean follow-up time was 32.3 months (range, 14.7 to 56.7 months). Right ventricular function was well maintained in all patients. Valvular motion remained competent in 13 patients (65%). In the remaining 7 (35%), the valve became fixed in the open position. Trivial and mild pulmonary insufficiency was detected in 10 patients with a competent valve and 7 with an incompetent valve. No pressure gradient across the neopulmonary annulus or calcification of the expanded ePTFE membrane was detected in any patient.
Conclusions. The fan-shaped expanded ePTFE valve is a useful substitute with adequate function in transannular right ventricular outflow reconstruction.