Home > Journals > Minerva Psichiatrica > Past Issues > Minerva Psichiatrica 2005 September;46(3) > Minerva Psichiatrica 2005 September;46(3):229-36

CURRENT ISSUE
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Reprints

MINERVA PSICHIATRICA

A Journal on Psychiatry, Psychology and Psychopharmacology


Official Journal of the Italian Society of Social Psychiatry
Indexed/Abstracted in: EMBASE, e-psyche, PsycINFO, Scopus, Emerging Sources Citation Index


eTOC

 

ORIGINAL ARTICLES  


Minerva Psichiatrica 2005 September;46(3):229-36

language: Italian

Monitoring of psychodrugs' side effects. A therapeutic approach in day hospital.

Binello P., Martinengo G., Rabino R., Raffaelli S., Spiccia M., Viarengo E.


PDF  


Aim. The aim of this paper was to assess the side-effects of psychodrugs, according to the Objective-Project for Mental Health 1998-2000, to favour the interaction between patients and operators as to therapy and try to discuss the problems, expectations and fears related to the drugs.
Methods. A plan for a pharmacological monitoring in the Day Hospital Service at the Department of Mental Health in Asti has been carried out. The mood stabilizer and antipsychotic drugs were the main focus of this study. The criteria of choice were: the use of extended therapies; the presence of serious side-effects observed by lab analysis; the presence of side-effects which can influence the stigma of patients suffering from mental disorders. Moreover, a protocol has been developed to evaluate whether an organically-oriented approach led to an improvement of the patients' therapy compliance.
Results. The blood analysis showed that, in the study period, the levels of the mood stabilizers were within the therapeutic range in 93.4% of the patients, while in the remaining 6.6% a remarkable decrease of blood levels was observed likely due to a wrong drug administration.
Conclusion. This procedure in the Day Hospital Service has led to: a reduction in waiting time; the presence of qualified personnel which can give information about side-effects and improve the compliace; to observe rapidly the possible alterations and treat them; to create a data bank

top of page

Publication History

Cite this article as

Corresponding author e-mail