Home > Journals > Minerva Anestesiologica > Past Issues > Minerva Anestesiologica 2000 July-August;66(7-8) > Minerva Anestesiologica 2000 July-August;66(7-8):503-16

CURRENT ISSUE
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Reprints

MINERVA ANESTESIOLOGICA

A Journal on Anesthesiology, Resuscitation, Analgesia and Intensive Care


Official Journal of the Italian Society of Anesthesiology, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care
Indexed/Abstracted in: Current Contents/Clinical Medicine, EMBASE, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 2,036


eTOC

 

  EDITORIAL


Minerva Anestesiologica 2000 July-August;66(7-8):503-16

language: English

The chain of survival. A review in year 2000

Gullo A., Sallusti R., Trillò G.

From the Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Trieste University School of Medicine, Trieste, Italy


FULL TEXT  


Worldwide about 1 in 1000 adults every year has a sudden cardiac arrest in out-of-hospital. That means 350.000-400.000 persons in the USA alone, 60.000 persons in Italy. Over 70% of times sudden cardiac arrest occurs at home, the remaining 30% in public settings. The chain of survival concept emphasizes four links associated with survival after sudden cardiac arrest corresponding each with a set of actions that have been done as soon as possible—the early access, the early CPR, the early defibrillation, the early ACLS; in order to develop strenght in each link, separate specialized programs are needed, but all of the links must be well connected. The Utstein Style was developed by a task force who suggested a series of recommendations as a starting point for more effective exchange of information about out-of hospital cardiac arrest. The Utstein Style includes a glossary of terms, a template for reporting data from resuscitation studies on cardiac arrest, definitions for time points and time intervals related to an intervention in a resuscitation attempt, definitions of clinical items and outcomes that should be included in reports, and recommendations for the descriptions for how different EMS systems are organized.

top of page

Publication History

Cite this article as

Corresponding author e-mail