Advanced Search

Home > Journals > Medicina dello Sport > Past Issues > Medicina dello Sport 2009 June;62(2) > Medicina dello Sport 2009 June;62(2):193-200



A Journal on Sports Medicine

Official Journal of the Italian Sports Medicine Federation
Indexed/Abstracted in: BIOSIS Previews, EMBASE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 0,163

Frequency: Quarterly

ISSN 0025-7826

Online ISSN 1827-1863


Medicina dello Sport 2009 June;62(2):193-200


Double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in recreational sportsmen: preliminary results at two years follow-up

Quaglia A., De Girolamo L., Cervellin M., Denti M., Volpi P.

Sports Traumatology and Arthroscopic Surgery Unit IRCCS Galeazzi Orthopedic Institute, Milan, Italy

Aim. With this study we conducted a preliminary evaluation at two years postoperative of physically active patients who had undergone double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction with the transtibial technique for ACL tears.
Methods. The study sample was 17 patients (12 men and 5 women; mean age, 35.4; range, 20-49), 16 of which regularly practiced sports. All had undergone ACL reconstruction surgery performed by the same surgeon and followed the same postoperative physiotherapy regimen. Outcome at a minimum follow-up of 2 years was assessed by means of the Lysholm and Tegner knee rating systems, the International Knee Documentation Committee (IKDC) form and KT1000 arthrometry.
Results. There was a significant improvement in mean postoperative Lysholm Knee Scoring Scale (LKSS) scores compared with preoperative values (94.1±9.8 versus 66.7±12.7, respectively; P<0.001). The Tegner scale values decreased slightly from 7.4±2.1 to 6.8±1.6 (P=0.36). As assessed by the IKDC form, 76.4% of the patients were classified in group A (normal) and 23.6% in group B (near normal). Results of KT1000 arthrometry placed 70.6% of the patients in group A (normal) and the remaining 29.4% in group B (near normal).
Conclusion. In this small patient sample, the outcome after double-bundle ACL reconstruction was generally good at a minimum 2 years follow-up, with correct knee joint function restored in the majority of the patients. Additional clinical and biomechanical analysis would be useful in comparing double-bundle ACL reconstruction with conventional reconstruction techniques.

language: English, Italian


top of page