Home > Journals > Medicina dello Sport > Past Issues > Medicina dello Sport 2005 December;58(4) > Medicina dello Sport 2005 December;58(4):285-8

CURRENT ISSUE
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Reprints

MEDICINA DELLO SPORT

A Journal on Sports Medicine


Official Journal of the Italian Sports Medicine Federation
Indexed/Abstracted in: BIOSIS Previews, EMBASE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 0,163


eTOC

 

CLINICAL SECTION  


Medicina dello Sport 2005 December;58(4):285-8

language: Italian

It is possibile to practice professional physical activity after pericardiectomy?

Marzullo M., Abbondati M., Sciorio S., Santoro G., Soscia A.

Università degli Studi "Federico II", Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia, Servizio Autonomo di Medicina dello Sport, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria "Federico II", Napoli


PDF  


Aim. Our study aims at analyzing the results of pericardium surgery in a group of young patients with constrictive pericarditis and adapting valutation methods in sports medicine also by the light of the new lifestyles that our society proposes.
Methods. We have taken into consideration 46 patients of age between 16 and 28 years (average 22,5 years) effecting a follow up at a distance.
Results. The pericardiectomy for constrictive pericarditis allows a reintegration in the agonistic sports in about the 60% of the patients who apply. The remaining 40% unfitness is almost always due to the systematic disease that has determined the pericarditis. Such a reintegration is not allowed unless after a year from the resolution of the pathological event, most of then only for some sports listed in the COCIS classes, with minimum-moderate cardiocirculatory engagement of neurogenic type and even if in a minimal part, in the middle-high engagement like basket and soccer.
Conclusion. Restarting the sports activity was possible mainly for those patients whose genesis of pericarditis is idiopathic or viral, with a sensible improvement of the physical efficiency.
Etiology is fundamental to give an opinion on sports elegibility.

top of page

Publication History

Cite this article as

Corresponding author e-mail