Total amount: € 0,00
HOW TO ORDER
A Journal on Angiology
Official Journal of the , the International Union of Phlebology and the
Indexed/Abstracted in: BIOSIS Previews, Current Contents/Clinical Medicine, EMBASE, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 0,899
International Angiology 2004 March;23(1):14-7
Hemostatic function and carotid artery disease
Liapis C. 1, Kakisis J. 1, Papavassiliou V. 1, Tsoukala C. 2, Makris T. 3, Kaperonis E. 1, Psifis A. 1, Karafoulidou A. 2, Kostakis A. 1
1 Second Department of Propedeutic Surgery, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
2 Second Regional Blood Transfusion Center, Hemostasis Unit, Laiko Hospital, Athens, Greece
3 Department of Cardiology, Laiko Hospital, Athens, Greece
Aim. Since conventional risk factors predict less than one half of future cardiovascular events, other factors that contribute to atherogenesis need to be evaluated. The aim of this study was to investigate whether clotting factors are associated with carotid artery disease. Furthermore, we tried to determine whether clotting factors could be used to predict the risk of cerebrovascular events in patients with internal carotid artery stenosis.
Methods. Twenty-six patients with high-grade (>70%) internal carotid artery stenosis and 43 age-matched controls were evaluated for atherogenic risk factors and hemostatic function. Laboratory tests included plasma assays of fibrinogen, tissue plasminogen activator (TPA), D-dimer, plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 (PAI-1), plasminogen and factor VII:c. Nineteen (72%) patients had history of stroke or transient ischemic attack, while the remaining 7 (28%) were asymptomatic. Statistical analysis was performed using multiple linear regression analysis.
Results. Carotid artery stenosis was associated with high levels of TPA (p<0.001), D-dimer (p=0.019) and PAI-1 (p<0.001). No statistically significant correlation was found between the presence of carotid artery disease and the levels of fibrinogen (p=0.28), plasminogen (p=0.96) or factor VII:c (p=0.19). As regards the clinical manifestations, none of the studied clotting factors was correlated with the history of cerebrovascular events in the patients with carotid stenosis.
Conclusion. The results of this study show that the hemostatic system may play a role in the development of carotid artery atherosclerotic disease, while it does not seem to affect the development of symptoms in patients with carotid stenosis.