Home > Journals > Gazzetta Medica Italiana Archivio per le Scienze Mediche > Past Issues > Gazzetta Medica Italiana Archivio per le Scienze Mediche 2003 December;162(6) > Gazzetta Medica Italiana Archivio per le Scienze Mediche 2003 December;162(6):155-9

CURRENT ISSUE
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Reprints

GAZZETTA MEDICA ITALIANA ARCHIVIO PER LE SCIENZE MEDICHE

A Journal on Internal Medicine and Pharmacology


Indexed/Abstracted in: BIOSIS Previews, EMBASE, Scopus, Emerging Sources Citation Index

 

THERAPEUTICAL NOTES  


Gazzetta Medica Italiana Archivio per le Scienze Mediche 2003 December;162(6):155-9

language: Italian

Evaluation of the effectiveness and tolerance of the treatment with fluconazole in mycotic and candidal infections of the skin

Schiaramazzi B. 1, Cavarischia R. 1, Assalve D. 2, Caraffini S. 2, Postorino M. F. 3

1 Servizio di Dermatologia, ASL RM/E, Roma;
2 Libero Professionista, Perugia;
3 Libero Professionista, Reggio Calabria


PDF  


Aim. The aim of this study was to evaluate, in clinical practice, the tolerance and effectiveness of treatment with fluconazole 100 mg/day in patients suffering from candidal infections of the skin.
Methods. The paper analyses data of 185 patients, mean age 38.9±20.4 years, 92 males and 93 females respectively, with dermatomycoses (tinea corporis, tinea cruris, tinea pedis and pityriasis versicolor) and candidal infection of the skin. Patients were enrolled in an open label study to assess the clinical and tolerability data of fluconazole 100 mg/day, administered for an average duration of 18.1±6.3 days. The main clinical diagnoses were the following: tinea corporis (54 patients, 29.2%), pityriasis versicolor (53 patients, 28.7%) and candidal infection of the skin (45 patients, 24.3%). Altogether, the skin infections of dermatophytes were about half of all diagnoses: 86 patients, 46.5%.
Results. Total disappearance of symptoms was observed, at the end of treatment, in 156 patients (84.3%), whereas the remaining 29 (15.7%) have improved. Clinical efficacy was combined with outstanding/good tolerability (96.7% patients) and none of the enrolled patients discontinued the treatment for adverse events.
Conclusion. In conclusion, the results of this study confirm that fluconazole 100 mg/day has an excellent safety and efficacy, so it can be chosen as the first line treatment in dermatomycoses and candidal infections of the skin.

top of page

Publication History

Cite this article as

Corresponding author e-mail