Home > Journals > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia > Past Issues > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2003 February;138(1) > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2003 February;138(1):31-4

CURRENT ISSUE
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Reprints

GIORNALE ITALIANO DI DERMATOLOGIA E VENEREOLOGIA

A Journal on Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases


Official Journal of the Italian Society of Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Indexed/Abstracted in: EMBASE, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 1,014


eTOC

 

ORIGINAL ARTICLES  


Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2003 February;138(1):31-4

language: English

Efficacy and safety of bis-butyl-carboethylene in the treatment of scabies

Masci S. 1, Bruno M. 2, Falagiani P. 2, Finizio L. 3, Riva G. 2, Simonetto D. 3

1 Department of Dermatology University of Chieti “SS. Annunziata Hospital”, Chieti
2 Scientific Division Lofarma SpA, Milan
3 Dermatology Unit “Cà Foncello” Hospital USSL 9, Treviso


PDF  


Aim. Scabies is a skin infestation caused by the mite Sarcoptes scabiei. Aim of this study was to investigate the efficacy and safety of a new treatment schedule of a skin lotion for scabies containing bis-butyl-carboethylene.
Methods. Eighty-seven patients (42 males and 45 female, with an age ranging from 5 to 76 years; mean age: 36 years) with scabies were evaluated. Treatment lasted 3 days (cycle 1, mandatory) plus, if necessary, other 2 days (cycle 2, optional). For the evaluation of efficacy, disappearance of skin lesions and symptoms like “itch”, “nocturnal wake-ups” and “nocturnal itch” was considered.
Results. Fourteen patients (16.1%), with a complete remission of the lesions and symptoms at the end of the 1st cycle, were no more treated. The other 73 patients (83.9%) received the 2nd cycle. Disappearance of skin lesions was documented in 70/73 patients (95.9%). On the whole, in 84/87 patients (96.5%), a complete remission of skin lesions was observed at the end of the 1st and/or 2nd cycle. In 85/87 patients (97.7%) improvement of the variable “itch” was observed; 47/61 patients (77%) reported improvement of “nocturnal itch” at the end of cycle 1 and 50/53 (94.3%) at the end of cycle 2. The number of “nocturnal wake-ups” decreased in 59/61 patients (96.7%). Seven patients (8%) reported mild adverse reactions localized in the skin areas where the product was applied.
Conclusions. This new therapeutical regimen with bis-butyl-carboethylene resulted effective and safe in the treatment of patients with scabies.

top of page

Publication History

Cite this article as

Corresponding author e-mail