Home > Journals > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia > Past Issues > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2002 August;137(4) > Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2002 August;137(4):287-90

CURRENT ISSUE
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Reprints

GIORNALE ITALIANO DI DERMATOLOGIA E VENEREOLOGIA

A Journal on Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases


Official Journal of the Italian Society of Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Indexed/Abstracted in: EMBASE, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 1,014


eTOC

 

THERAPEUTICAL NOTES  


Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2002 August;137(4):287-90

language: Italian

Topical treatment of acne with spironolactone and hydrogen peroxide in female adolescents

Rampone A. 1, Vozza G. 1, Vozza A. 1, Rampone B. 2, Capuano I. 2, Tirabasso S. 2, Rampone N. 2

1 Unità Operativa di Clinica Dermatologica
2 Istituto di Clinica Ostetrica e Ginecologica Seconda Università degli Studi di Napoli, Napoli


PDF  


Background. To study the effectiveness and safety of spironolactone in association with the use of hydrogen peroxide as skin detergent, in the topical treatment of acne in female adolescents.
Methods. Forty-eight adolescent women (aged 13 to 17) suffering from acne vulgaris were studied in a period of 24 months (October 1999-September 2001). They were all enrolled in the first month of study. They were topically treated with spironolactone (cream at 5%, twice a day on the face at a total dose of 50 mg). The cleansing of the face was performed with hydrogen peroxide stabilized on 12 volumes.
Results. After 4 months of treatment, 83.3% of the adolescents completely recovered from the dermatosis. In the remaining 16.7%, satisfactory but no definitive outcomes were obtained after about 7 months of therapy. Any local or general side effect was reported, and neither alterations of the hematochemical parameters occurred. The favourable effects of the therapy, in 75% of the cases, persisted up to the sixth month from the suspension of the therapy; in the remaining cases the onset of relapses was quickly avoided by repeating the therapy.
Conclusions. The application of spironolactone associated with the use of hydrogen peroxide as skin detergent, showed particularly effective and devoid of side effects in the treatment of common acne.

top of page

Publication History

Cite this article as

Corresponding author e-mail