Total amount: € 0,00
HOW TO ORDER
THE JOURNAL OF CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY
A Journal on Cardiac, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery
Indexed/Abstracted in: BIOSIS Previews, Current Contents/Clinical Medicine, EMBASE, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 1,632
ORIGINAL ARTICLES VASCULAR SECTION
The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2008 August;49(4):489-95
Below-knee revascularization in patients with critical limb ischemia: long-term comparison of redo vs primary interventions
Troisi N. 1, Dorigo W. 1, Pratesi G. 2, Alessi Innocenti A. 1, Pulli R. 1, Pratesi C. 1
1 Department of Vascular Surgery University of Florence, Florence, Italy
2 Department of Vascular Surgery University of Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Aim. The aim of this study was to evaluate the authors’ experience in below-knee revascularization in patients with critical limb ischemia, comparing long-term outcomes in primary and secondary interventions.
Methods. From January 2000 to December 2006, 140 consecutive below-knee revascularizations in patients with critical limb ischemia were performed at the Department of Vascular Surgery of the University of Florence (Italy). In 105 patients (75%) a primary intervention was performed (Group 1). Early and long-term results in terms of survival, patency and limb salvage were compared with those obtained in the remaining 35 patients (25%) secondarily operated on in the same period for a late (>30 days) bypass graft thrombosis (Group 2).
Results. One patient died in the early postoperative period. Thirty-day thrombosis and amputation rates were poorer in Group 2 than in Group 1 (17.1% and 4.8%, P=0.02; 37.1% and 16.2%, P=0.01, respectively). Mean duration of follow-up was 25.1 months. At 60 months there were no differences between the two groups in terms of survival (90.1% in Group 1 and 90.9% in Group 2; P=NS), primary patency (43.5% in Group 1 and 31.9% in Group 2; P=NS) and secondary patency (48.4% in Group 1 vs 43.8% in Group 2; P=NS). Estimated 60-month limb salvage rate was significantly poorer in Group 2 than in Group 1 (64.1% and 77.7%, respectively; P=0.05). In Group 2 prosthetic graft material significantly affects 60-month limb salvage rate.
Conclusion. Redo below-knee revascularization in patients with critical limb ischemia provides acceptable long-term results in terms of primary and secondary patency; however, limb salvage appeared to be slightly worse in patients undergone redo surgery.