Home > Journals > The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery > Past Issues > The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2005 October;46(5) > The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2005 October;46(5):515-8

CURRENT ISSUE
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Reprints

THE JOURNAL OF CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY

A Journal on Cardiac, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery


Indexed/Abstracted in: BIOSIS Previews, Current Contents/Clinical Medicine, EMBASE, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 2,179


eTOC

 

ORIGINAL ARTICLES  THORACIC SECTION


The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2005 October;46(5):515-8

Copyright © 2009 EDIZIONI MINERVA MEDICA

language: English

Late outcome and perioperative complications for surgery of locally recurrent bronchogenic carcinoma

Campione A., Ligabue T., Luzzi L., Ghiribelli C., Paladini P., Voltolini L., Di Bisceglie M., D’Agata A., Gotti G.

Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Thoracic Surgery Unit University Hospital of Siena, Siena, Italy


PDF  


Aim. Many doubts involve a 2nd surgical approach for local relapse of non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) since iterative resections represent a well-recognized treatment in second primary lung cancer (SPLC).
Methods. The medical reports of patients who underwent surgical resection, between 1988 and 2002, were reviewed. All patients submitted to 2nd operation were examined according to Martini and Melamed criteria to distinguish between local recurrence and second primary lung cancer.
Results. Complete resection for NSCLC was performed in 1 386 patients. Nineteen patients were submitted to surgery for local recurrence (17 men and 2 women) and mean age at the time of 1st operation was 61 years (range 41-78 years). The 1st operation consisted of lobectomy in 15 cases, anatomical segmentectomy in 2 and wedge resection in 2. The 2nd pulmonary resection was completion pneumonectomy in 16 cases, completion lobectomy in 2, wedge resection in 1. Major complications occurred in 26% and overall hospital mortality was 5%. Five-year survival after 2nd intervention was 31% and median survival 27 months. Survival was better when the time between 1st resection and cancer relapse was longer than 14 months and when recurrence was intrapulmonary.
Conclusion. A new malignant lesion can be operated if it is solitary and intrapulmonary, if accurate staging is negative and if the patient is able to go through 2nd surgery from cardiopulmonary evaluation.

top of page

Publication History

Cite this article as

Corresponding author e-mail