Home > Journals > The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery > Past Issues > The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2001 October;42(5) > The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2001 October;42(5):695-7

CURRENT ISSUE
 

ARTICLE TOOLS

Reprints

THE JOURNAL OF CARDIOVASCULAR SURGERY

A Journal on Cardiac, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery


Indexed/Abstracted in: BIOSIS Previews, Current Contents/Clinical Medicine, EMBASE, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch), Scopus
Impact Factor 1,632


eTOC

 

CASE REPORTS  THORACIC SECTION


The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 2001 October;42(5):695-7

Copyright © 2009 EDIZIONI MINERVA MEDICA

language: English

Preoperative irradiation of selected mediastinal masses

Foley R. W., Rodriguez M. I.

From the Divi­sion of Tho­racic Sur­gery, Naval Med­ical ­Center, Ports­mouth, Vir­ginia, USA


PDF  


During a 17-­year ­period ­from 1982 to 1999, 117 ­patients under­went sur­gical treat­ment of med­i­as­tinal ­masses. Resec­tion was accom­plished in the ­majority (81 or 69%) of ­these ­masses; ­with the ­remaining ­patients (36 or 31%) ­having ­biopsy pro­ce­dures ­only. Malig­nant ­tumors ­were ­found in 43 ­patients (37%). A ­small ­subset of the ­biopsy ­group (4 ­patients or 11%) ­with symp­to­matic ante­rior ­masses ­were ­assessed to be of ­high ­risk for sig­nif­i­cant com­pli­ca­tions of anes­thesia ­during the ­biopsy pro­ce­dure and ­were ­treated ­with a ­short ­course of pre­op­er­a­tive radi­a­tion to the ­mass ­prior to oper­a­tion. All ­patients ­were oper­ated ­upon ­without com­pli­ca­tion and defin­i­tive path­o­logic diag­nosis was ­made in all ­cases ­despite pre­op­er­a­tive low ­dose irra­di­a­tion to the ­area of ­biopsy. Our expe­ri­ence dem­on­strates a prac­tical and effec­tive way of ­dealing ­with a poten­tially dis­as­trous sit­u­a­tion ­without com­pro­mising the accu­racy of diag­nosis.

top of page

Publication History

Cite this article as

Corresponding author e-mail